- Museum Accession No.: EA1978.704
- Catalogue No.: 98
- Object type: Jar and cover
- Kiln/Location: Blue-and-white, Arita
- Period/Date: 1670-90
- Dimensions: H. 26.4 cm, D. 17.8 cm
- Provenance: Reitlinger gift
- Description: Ovoid jar with cover. Wide, short, slightly flaring neck; fitted domed cover with everted rim and flattened knob. Reinforced footring. Underglaze blue decoration of landscape with river, mountains, moored junks and drying nets in sketchy style, roughly repeated on cover. Decorative bands on shoulder, triangle ornament on neck, plain bands on foot.
Variations on this landscape pattern occur on a wide range of shapes in blue-and-white, such as jars, bottles of various shapes, trumpet vases, covered bowls and others, suggesting a workshop that specialised in this style. The style is obviously derived from Kano school painting.
- Similar Example: