- Museum Accession No.: EA1978.610
- Catalogue No.: 162
- Object type: Bowl and cover
- Kiln/Location: Kakiemon, Arita
- Period/Date: early 18th century
- Dimensions: H. 8.3 cm, D. 15.6 cm
- Provenance: Reitlinger gift
- Description: Bowl. Rounded sides; flared, fluted rim with sixteen-scalloped edge. Interior-fitting cover in form of shallow saucer with fluted sides and scalloped edge on low circular foot. Underglaze blue and red, orange, green and black enamels with gold. Central chrysanthemum spray with red flowers and green and underglaze blue leaves inside bowl. On outside of bowl and cover, peony and chrysanthemum in rocks. On rim of bowl, lappet design in red, turquoise and gold. Chrysanthemum spray on inside of cover. Two concentric underglaze blue circles round foot.
The green leaves of the interior design in this bowl, and in the interior of its lid are painted inside an outline in underglaze blue. This is a practice commonplace in Chinese and Nabeshima porcelain, but extremely unusual in any of the Arita wares, and is possibly unique to this type.
- Similar Example: