- Museum Accession No.: EA1956.2024
- Catalogue No.: 415
- Object type: Figure of a shishi and cub
- Kiln/Location: Celadon, Imari
- Period/Date: 18th-19th century
- Dimensions: H. 41.9 cm
- Provenance: 1956.2024
- Description: Figure of a shishi and her cub on a rock. The animals modelled separately from the rockwork base. The mother shishi, in celadon, resting on her front paws, hind legs raisedup behind, looking up at the unglazed brown cub gripping a curl on its mothers left hind leg just above the tail. The separate rock, craggy and pierced with holes, is formed around a central hollow cylinder.
Although models of similar scale and type to this have been found at Okawachi, including pieces strongly resembling the rockwork, this piece lacks the deep rich glaze of Nabeshima and must have been made elsewhere.
- Similar Example: